Are you passionate about protecting your community? Do you love aquatics? Join us at the Valparaiso YMCA as a lifeguard!
We have an immediate need for talented DAYTIME lifeguards. Preferred availability M-F, 5AM-3PM, and weekends.
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
2. Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model. Completes related reports as required.
3. Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
4. Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
5. Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
6. Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
7. Performs chemical testing when not guarding , as required, and takes appropriate action.
8. Attends all staff meetings and in-service training.
1. Minimum age of 16.
2. Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen.
3. Current YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent.
4. Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
5. Ability to demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
YMCA part-time employees receives a free membership to our facility, free child-watch child care while working, and the ability to link with our outstanding staff of professionals! The YMCA is a great place to create friendships, work with peers and learn life-long work skills!